How to Become a Firefighter
First off I want to say thank you for your interest in learning how to become a firefighter. You have already completed the first step in your journey to becoming a fireman.
The firefighter job is both a mentally and physically demanding career so if you feel you have what it takes, read the six steps below carefully.
Make Sure to Meet All Minimum Requirements
- You have to be at least 18 years old to become a fireman but in some states, you have to be 21. Make sure you know the age requirements for the area you want to save lives in.
- You must have a high school diploma or its equivalent, an associates or bachelors in fire science or fire protection engineering doesn’t hurt either.
- Make sure to get all your documents together before you start the hiring process. This will allow for a more smooth application process.
EMT – Paramedic
- Not all fire departments require EMT or Paramedic to become a firefighter but many do. If you want to better your chances to becoming a fireman, look into it.
- Get out there and work with your community because that is exactly what you are going to be doing once you get your dream job.
- Join a habitat for humanity project or help feed the homeless. This will help you with interacting with many different people and it will help your resume.
Get in Shape
- The firefighter job is a very physically demanding profession. You must be in great shape to pass the CPAT or whatever physical test your department may have.
- We have created a workout program specifically tailored for firefighters. So if you are ready to take this seriously, go to Firefighter Furnace and get started with some of the best workouts and nutritional advice to help you become a firefighter.
Know Your Stuff
- Watch videos and read articles about being a firefighter. The more you know, the better your journey to becoming a firefighter will be. Doing this will help you with the next step.
Network, Network, Network
- Networking is a great way to get anything you want and need, especially a firefighter job in the area you would love to be in.
- Use social media sites such as LinkedIn to find the important people you need to talk to about the job you want. A lot of fire chiefs are on LinkedIn and will help you with information on how they find recruits.
- Walk into a fire department in your desired area and talk to someone. Ask them what you need to do to become a fireman there. Don’t be scared, I don’t know any firemen that would not want to help someone become a firefighter.
These six steps will help you on your journey to becoming a firefighter. If you would like to receive any more information, contact us and we would be happy to help.