Hearty Quinoa Mac and Chili
Fit Men Cook
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
Ingredients for at least 5 servings:
- 24oz (1.5lb) 99% lean ground beef
- 8oz uncooked quinoa macaroni shells (or whole wheat macaroni)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced or paste)
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 diced Roma tomatoes
- 15oz canned black beans (low sodium)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- avocado slices
- cheddar (reduced fat)
- chopped cilantro or parsley
- Set a large skillet on medium high heat and spray with extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Once the skillet is hot, sauté red onion with garlic. Cook the chopped onions until they turn brown and become translucent.
- Toss in the ground meat, and chop and stir the meat until it is nearly 90% cooked. There may be a little pink to the meat, but the vast majority of the ground meat will be brown, signifying it is cooked.
- Then toss in tomatoes, black beans, seasonings and chicken broth. Mix together using a spatula, then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, toss in uncooked quinoa macaroni shells. Mix together, then cover and cook the mixture for about 12-15 minutes, or until the macaroni has cooked completely.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, season to taste with sea salt and pepper, and then serve immediately. If you are making this in bulk for your weekly meals, store no more than 3 days worth in the refrigerator and freeze the rest. Defrost the food in the refrigerator the night before you are going to eat it.
Remember to customize this recipe to compliment your diet and fitness goals.
Approximate macros for 1 of 5 servings:
417 calories, 43g protein, 56g carbs, 3g fat, 10g fiber, 3g sugar