Recipe of the Week- Turkey Jalapeno Poppers
Ingredients for 18 poppers:
- 1/2 lb (8oz) 93% lean, ground turkey (uncooked, raw)
- 9 jalapeños
- 9 slices turkey bacon (I recommend purchasing turkey bacon made from actually leg or thighs, natural, nitrate free, uncured. I purchase the kind from Applegate.)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced or paste)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup goat cheese crumble
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dill
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Fire up the grill. You want the temperature at least to 350F.
- Prepare the ground turkey. Set a nonstick skillet on medium high heat and spray lightly with a little coconut or olive oil. Toss in the red onions and garlic and cook until the onion becomes brown and somewhat translucent. Once that happens, toss in the lean ground turkey and cook. Use a wooden spatula to chop up the turkey as it cooks, removing any big clumps of meat.
- Prepare the turkey bacon. Slice the turkey bacon vertically in half in order to create two long, narrow strips of bacon from one slice of bacon. Repeat for all 9 strips of bacon.
- Prepare the jalapeños. Slice the jalapeño down the middle. Using a small spoon, carve out the insides and scrape away all of the white seeds. This step is especially important if you are making this for children or individuals who cannot handle spicy food.
- In a bowl, mix together ground turkey, Greek yogurt, goat cheese and the seasonings.
- Using a spoon, fill each jalapeño-half with the mixture, then wrap 1/2 slice of turkey bacon around it. Repeat.
- Place the poppers on a grill, with the mixture facing up, and allow them to grill for 23 to 25 minutes, until you see the edges of the jalapeño turn brown and the edges of the turkey bacon become crispier.
- Remove from the heat and enjoy immediately!